Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What time will it be in Arizona?

This is what the bottom of my analysis barrel looks like...

I know a lot of teams who travel West to play games complain about the time change. I saw our team won't be leaving until Friday to prepare for the game the following night. If you noticed our game-time is 8:00pm EST; out in Tempe, AZ the gametime will be 5:00pm MST.



In the map above Mountain Standard is the small orange-colored time zone which runs on the same time as Pacific Standard (3 hours ahead of us EST people). However, based on my extremely limited knowledge of general geography, the 5 o'clock gametime in Arizona is going to look/feel like a 6 o'clock gametime according to people in Utah, most of Idaho, and western Montana.

I've been to Las Vegas before, and I know all about the "dry-heat" out in the desert. Once, I decided I wanted to see the famous Welcome to Las Vegas sign and decided it was no big deal to walk to it from my hotel, New York, New York, around lunch-time...


I took this picture...you might be able to see the hotel if you squint.

So yeah, it's hot as balls out there, but the difference between 12-noon and the atmospheric equivalent of 6pm is literally night & day...heh, get it?!?

I'm not worried about the heat or the time, I'm worried about us not showing up to play. Georgia should man-handle the Sun Devils, keyword SHOULD.

Any thoughts/concerns from you guys?

12 comments:

Hunker Down said...

I'm concerned about being sober enough to recognize our team on TV after I complete 8 hours of tailgating at Navy Marine Corps Stadium in Annapolis. http://hunkerdowndawg.blogspot.com/2008/09/tailgating-9202008-compare-and-contrast.html

Seriously, I will be at my 20 year reunion and will have to moderate my intake so I can remain lucid for the 8:00 PM kick off. I am extremely happy it is a night game so I won't have to miss it. Should be a great weekend.

Ally said...

I caught the replay of the SCUm game and I have absolutely NO confidence that we're gonna man-handle the Sundevils Mack. Glad you do and I hope to hell you're right. But our Oline looks bad. Our seondary, thanks to our lack of good DE's, looked bad - especially in the 4th quarter (good Lord!). And I have a sick feeling that this may be the game, like every year, where Willie Martinez's continued use of the soft zone & his lack to adjust mid-game will bite us in the ass bigtime.

Hoping and praying I'm WAAAAY wrong.

Go Dawgs!

Ally said...

Oh, and no more Wednesday wordles?? :-(

The UGA Graduate said...

What time it will be Tempe when Mimbs' punt finally lands?

Mackie said...

@ally: I've watched the SC game a few times now and REALLY believe that if we cut out the penalties (11 total) and CTDB we'll be fine. Willie's had an earful all week, I'm sure the proper adjustments will be made, Coach Fabris also got his fair share. Coach Richt isn't going to let our guys think last weekends performance will get them to the SEC Championship. If nothing else, God forbid we do lose this game, it doesn't hurt our placement in the SEC East (and if we HAD to lose a game all season, this is the one I would mind the least, not hoping for it, but staying cautiously optimistic).

@cb: HEYOOOOHHHH!!!1

Mackie said...

Also, I got a little burned out with the Wordles but I'm sure they'll rear their ugly head again in the near future. Sorry Ally :(

Hunker Down said...

Ally,

We will score plenty in this one. The ASU defense is not nearly as tough as SC's. If we can't stop the dink and dunk, then we will have to outscore them. Which we will. I also have confidence that we will have more pass rush if for no other reason because of effort generated through fear of the coaches. I think CMRs talk about blitzing not working against Rudy is a smokescreen. Rudy blew up in the game against USC last year after they started blitzing him like mad. He had a great first quarter and then went Colt Brennan Sugar Bowl on them. So we will see a steady diet of blitzes from every angle.

Ally said...

Mack & Hamp - You guys know better than me, so I'm sure you're right. From your mouths to God's ears!

Mack - no worries on the wordles. I may do a few on my blog myself. Who knows?

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I'm torn. I think that UGA has the talent to wallop the snot out of Arizona and the team itself.

If they play like they did against Spurrier then it will be close. Hope Mackie is rigth

Anonymous said...

the should have been - right

I got fat fingers.

Nick Gayes said...

FYI - The hottest part of the day in Arizona is in the late afternoon, so your day/night theory is kind of shot in the butt. That being said, it will only be about 100 on Saturday, so the heat becomes less of a factor. Now if we can just get Keegan and Rudy to show up, we might just get to see a competitive ball game.

Mackie said...

@ngayes - You might know better than I would, but I distinctly remember walking around Vegas around lunchtime and suffocating, then walking around Vegas at the 6-7pm timeframe and it not being as bad. Perhaps it was because I'd lost my shirt at Speed Roulette and didn't have fabric on my chest keeping the heat in...either way, it was just a theory be it true or bunk.