Thursday, September 11, 2008

The 'Cock Quarterback Conundrum

Spurrier is obviously playing coy going into this game. He's getting freshman quarterback Stephen Garcia more snaps in practice...but still sharing time with Sophomore Chris Smelley.

So I did some looking and found something pretty interesting.

Though it is likely it will either be Chris Smelley or Tommy Beecher starting, there is a chance Spurrier would surprise Willy with Stephen Garcia. But that's not all; there is an even smaller chance Steve bursts out any one of the SEVEN quarterbacks he has on his roster.

Whom are:

#5 Stephen Carcia (Fr)
#6 Tommy Beecher (Jr)
#7 Chris Smelley (So)
#13 Aramis Hillary (Fr)
#14 Reid McCollum (Fr)
#16 Michael McQueeney (Fr)
#17 Zac Brindise (Fr)

Obviously the OBC hasn't found his golden ticket to the proverbial Wonka Factory we know as the SEC Championship that's why he's loaded up his plate with Freshmen.


I imagine Saturday afternoon I'll be sitting in a stadium with 80K Veruca Salts.

Of course this is all speculation, I doubt our defense sees more than two QBs in Columbia. But isn't it a great feeling to know your coach has it all figured out. On the other side of the field we'll have 5 QBs who could potentially go out and "win one for the Gipper" if for some reason our depth behind center gets decimated.

Just in case you were wondering they are:

#6 Logan "Don't call me a punt returner" Gray (Fr)
#7 Matthew "Dreamboat" Stafford (Jr)
#14 Joe "Don't call me a ginger" Cox (Jr)
#15 Jonathan "who?" Batson (So)
#17 Jonathan "the other Jonathan...no #17" deLaureal (So)

Of course if none of our QBs decide to make their millions a year early (following this season) we also will be at the total of 7 QBs, it's just that ours will include...
2-Freshmen Stallions
1-Very Fast Sophomore
2-Relatively Unknown Juniors
2-Quality Seniors capable of recreating CMR's playbook with Knowshon's Lego sets.

...those are two night & day football programs.

7 comments:

Eric said...

Darn. I was pretty pumped at first when you mentioned one of my favorite 90's rock bands. Turns out you really do like musicals, huh? j/k

Mackie said...

Sorry brah', I'll try to dig you up the music video to Volcano Girls when I get the chance.

...and yes I do like musicals. Which is perfectly healthy, perfectly normal.

Eric said...

It's ok. I came out of the musical closet years ago. Even took a date when I was in high school (I can't believe I'm admitting this WWW) to see Cats at the Fox. Guess that was something like '93(??). Now that I'm "old", my wife and I are even season ticket holders at the community theater. Now you'll have to excuse me while I go do something like grill steaks, watch wrestling, and smash beer cans on my head.

Mackie said...

ugh, Cats?!? You better make those beer bottles on your head. I don't think even Elton John liked Cats.

Eric said...

I agree. I never did understand why it was so popular. Maybe you have to be a "cat person" to really get.

Ummm....shouldn't we be talking about football? Lol. Or the sad fact that I have to deal with my little cousin who decided to go to SCar? God, I have made it through a lot this summer, but please don't give her a chance to brag again this year.

Mackie said...

I feel your pain, I married a girl who went to Alabama. Since we've been together there have been 3 UGA/Bama games...the 4th comes up in a couple of weeks. I REALLY don't want her to have a chance to brag.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I read that comment. Not nice. Please let me have a chance to brag. I haven't had that since I met you. Isn't it about time?