Sunday, August 3, 2008

I hate to break this...

...and I hope I'm wrong.

But a friend called me who is an inside source with the Atlanta Braves PR group and told me Skip Carey died today. As of 8:05pm when I heard it hadn't been put up on AJC. I really hope I'm wrong on this because I am a huge fan of the Atlanta Braves and the voice that is Skip Carey. I guess we'll find out in the morning. If not I want to be the first to honor his memory with this, his greatest call. If Skip is still alive, I still want to put this up because it's one of my favorite moments in sports history and it makes me appreciate him even more.

...alright, it looks like the video of Sid Bream sliding into home plate during the 1992 NLCS is one of the many sports clips not available on YouTube because baseball is run by a bunch of douches. Instead, I'll post the call via transcript.

"A lotta room in right-center, if he hits one there we can dance in the streets. The 2-1. Swung, line drive left field! One run is in! Here comes Bream! Here's the throw to the plate! He is...safe! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win!...Braves win! They may have to hospitalize Sid Bream; he's down at the bottom of a huge pile at the plate. They help him to his feet. Frank Cabrera got the game winner! The Atlanta Braves are National League champions again! This crowd is going berserk, listen!"

God speed, Sir.

UPDATE:
Apparently it is true, I heard it verified on the 10pm news...crap.

2 comments:

Sports Dawg said...

Hey Mack, I also had a good memory of one of his calls "Yes, Yes, Yes...Thanks!

Anonymous said...

must be some friend to have that kind of inside news...