Monday, November 17, 2008

Real Quick


I know I've been hard on Georgia the last few weeks, but I think we all can agree how frustrating the last half of this year has been. Seeing extremely talented players underperform can be quite disheartening. I think it's great a few of our starters might leave for the NFL having never lost to ABUURN, lets just hope they do the same to Tech in a couple of weeks.

That being said, we all know I'm one of Willie Martinez' smallest fans. I don't think he's getting the job done motivationally or schematically and I think Georgia is due a change of defensive personel. Also, I'm one of the rare people who wants Willie gone and DOESN'T want Brian Van Gorder back. I'll admit BVG is more like the person I want coaching out defense, but if anyone watched the second half of the Falcons game yesterday you'd know BVG's boys weren't getting the job done against a team we could and should have beaten. We need someone with the exact same blood pressure reading and a solid understanding of adjusting sets with our defense packages.

The Dave Trifecta on Raycom last Saturday could talk about what a great defensive battle it was...but I ain't buyin' it. Georgia's defense made Kodi Burns look competent, that is unacceptable. Somebody, ANYBODY needs to step in over the bye week and figure out what is going on. Special teams, Defense, and red zone Offense are all teh suxorz. I'm not paid to be a coach (and if I was you'd finally get Coach Richt to admit firing someone is the right thing to do) but I'm a concerned fan who bleeds red & black and doesn't really know what to make of this year. We just as easily could be 6-5 right now but regardless of the unlucky breaks we've received, we got the lucky ones right when we needed them.

Tough schedule or not, we've got to finish the friggin' drill. Yeah we've been on the road for the last month, but we get one more shot at impressing a home crowd November 29th. If it was next weekend I don't think we'd win, fortunately the thugs from Miami get to rough up the North Avenue Nerds before the last regular season game.

Go Dawgs, and for cryin' out loud GATA!

5 comments:

the tri guy said...

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I don't necessarily know that we need BVG back, but we need some fresh blood and someone that the players actually FEAR. When BVG was here and someone blew an assignment, they did NOT want to come off the field and answer to him. I don't know if that's still the case.

Ideally, I'd like for us to go after someone with an NFL background for our defense. I look at Alabama, and the complexity of Saban's defense versus ours is night and day. I know that much aggression is prone to giving up big plays, but hell, with our DB's that can happen anyway. Might as well cause some chaos while we're at it.

Mackie said...

Amen, Tri Guy.

Anonymous said...

i saw the game and im no uga fan yall are sloppy undesciplined and dont tackle well on defense watch it again u will see.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's the talent, or lack there of, on the defense. We've recruited top quarterbacks, and receivers. Obviously that's paid off, we score points (most of the time).

BVG's defenses weren't great because of BVG. They were great because of the Baileys, and Pollacks. There's a 5* recruit CB from Atlanta (Branden Smith) that hasn't committed, but we're in the mix (with 1800 other schools).

I tried to go back to past years at Rivals.com but wasn't able to. I can't imagine, Asher "don't call me Ashley" Allen, with his looking back to the QB and getting burnt was a top recruit.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we need to recruit speed in the secondary like Florida and LSU do.

Mackie said...

anon, I couldn't agree with you more. When we got the late hit flag running the Auburn player out of bounds Coach Richt SHOULD have pulled him off the field and sat his butt on the bench for the rest of the half. Stupid penalties and poor performance have plagued us this year...but at least we're catching the passes we need to (unlike years past).