Tuesday, November 11, 2008

...one more thing about Kentucky

I'll admit I wasn't happy about the Kentucky game even though we won, but let me drop this bug in your ear.



I very well may be the only one making this correlation, and let me say for the record I DO NOT think the two are comparable on the level of importance to Bulldog history, but...

When I saw the first play of the TD drive where Stafford connected with MoMass for 77yds, a little piece of me was screaming "RUN LINDSAY!". Of course Buck Belue to Lindsay Scott will forever be one of the best moments in UGA football, but other than MoMass not making the most of his blocker, this would have been a similar situation. We would be on the verge of losing a game we should have won and in the final minutes we get a huge play for huge yardage.

I know they are completely different situations (so don't give me that crap about the Dawgs playing for an undefeated season during the Run Lindsay! call), but if I was over the fact we haven't lived up to our potential and was able to appreciate the Kentucky win for what it truly was (a pretty damn entertaining game), then I might be willing to underscore the silliness of the whole thing. I just know this would have been one of the moments a healthy Larry Munson would have been worth his weight in Munson's Greatest Calls DVDs had he been in Lexington last weekend.

FOLLOW UP: Does anyone have the Scott Howard audio to this drive?

Also, I love the Kentucky fan in the bottom right hand corner at minute 2:15-2:16 who appears to try and reach into the sky to grab the sun and then slam it to the ground once it becomes clear AJ Bryant...I mean AJ Green caught the pass. LOVE IT!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I've been MIA the last few days, I've been in MIA. I just wanted to congratulate you Dawgs on your big win. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, Mackie, I just wanted to let you know that after a few days without internet, I checked your blog BEFORE I checked Facebook. That's some pretty serious status there. That also means I made an a-hole anti-dawg comment before I checked Facebook too.

Eric said...

Funny....I swear, I yelled "Run Lindsay, Run!" as he cuts up the field. My non-football friendly wife looked at me and said something like, "I thought you called him Mo-Momma, or Mo-Mo...or something."

Bless her heart.

(my word verification is "comic"- coincidence"?)

Mackie said...

Ha that's awesome, yeah the word verification thing is a pretty weird thing, but I thought the one I had 2 posts ago "obstring" was funny because O.B. is a tampon manufacturer.

duvydawg said...

Good post, because I was kinda thinking the same thing in my head. Here's the funny thing. If you listen to Scott Howard's call, he basically tried to do his best Run Lindsay Run impression.

I was listening to the "Best of the Bulldogs" the other nite in the car and heard it. My thoughts immediately went to "Hey, is Scott Howard trying to have his own personaly Run Lindsay Run call?"

If I remember correctly, he starts out normally about how it is a completed pass to Massiquoi and then #1 starts running and he on the radio says "Go Mohammed, Go Mohammed", which to me at the time sounded very similar in presentation only.

Hard to explain in words, a clip of the call would do it justice.

Mackie said...

If it was me in the booth, I would have been tripping all over my words trying to scream "Go Mohammed" over and over again excitedly. Kudos to Scott for pulling it off.

j.leonardjr said...

I was think the same thing. I posted it in the comments of some other blog yesterday. I can't remember which one though. Very, very similar looking plays.

j.leonardjr said...

I remember now. I posted it in the comments of the video in Georgia Sports Blog.

Mackie said...

That's funny, I swear I didn't copy your idea but seeing the video on PWD's blog reminded me to put this post up yesterday. So I guess I wasn't the only one making the correlation.

Eric said...

Dude...You said tampon.*

*I can't believe I didn't catch that the first time you said it. Garrr.

Mackie said...

Bax, I'll assume since you revealed you have a wife also you know all about trips to the grocery store to purchase tampons only to stare blankly at a wall full of boxes that all say the exact same thing...but none of which you purchase will be the right one.